1869 Peyton and Peyton Boneshaker
The firm of Peyton and Peyton was formed in 1850 and produced metal bedsteads from Bordesley Works, Birmingham, Warwickshire.
Boneshaker’s were all the rage in 1869, having been brought over from France. However a conventional boneshaker, having pedals driving the front wheel, was tricky to ride. This ‘Improved Bicycle’ was offered by Peyton & Peyton in 1869.
This bicycle comprises an iron frame of stout but elegant proportions separating at the yoke to form a fork around the rear driving wheel. The treadle system is fulcrummed at the lower rear of the frame and acts on two diagonally-opposed 7-inch cranks which, in turn, operate the 36-inch driving wheel. A form of gearing is achieved by different mountings for the levers and cranks. The vélocipède-style steering possesses a tall centre pin to aid stability and turns a stout fork, which holds the 30-inch front wheel. The pedals swing on the treadle arms to provide ankle movement with an upturned nose on each to prevent forward slippage. The padded saddle is mounted to two shaped, sprung-steel supports in such a way as to provide adjustment for the rider, and a low brass back-rail aids support for the lower back when pedalling. The somewhat stylised high-perch handlebars possess a twisting bar to aid braking via a delicate chain to the rear wheel. Elegant though the bicycle clearly is, it was really a machine for the country estate rather than the open road.
The Collection’s exhibit
This exhibit has been in The Collection for well over 40 years.
♦ browse the Bicycles ♦
Peyton and Peyton Boneshaker
1869 Unidentified Boneshaker
1878 Starley Quadricycle
1885 Dan Albone 'Ivel' High Wheeler
1885 High Wheeler
1902 Dan Albone 'Ivel' Lady's Roadster No.5
Hercules gent's roadster
1924 Sunbeam Lady's Roadster
New Hudson 'Imperial' light roadster
1937 Raleigh Lady's Roadster
1938 Jagrose Lightweight