1940 David Brown Agricultural Tractor

The David Brown Agricultural Tractor was built in secret by David Brown as a replacement for the Ferguson-Brown Model A, after he and Harry Ferguson disagreed over changes to Ferguson’s original design. The David Brown tractor was launched at the 1939 Royal Show and made an immediate impact with its imposing grille, sweeping curves and rounded cowlings designed to protect the driver’s hands and feet from the rain.

It also featured a double seat to allow the farmer to carry an assistant, however it soon became known as the ‘courting tractor’ due to this feature. In 1941 the Air Ministry tasked David Brown with designing tugs for the RAF, the resulting tug was developed from the agricultural tractor but looked different and was known as the VIG (Vehicle, Industrial, Gasoline), at the same time the agricultural tractor was re-designated the VAK1 (Vehicle, Agricultural, Kerosene).

This tractor, serial number 1390/N, was built in June 1940. The N in the serial number denotes that it was built as a ‘narrow’ variant intended for use in orchards, vineyards or the hop farms of Kent, where it was first registered.

It is believed that no more than 50 early narrow models were built and this is thought to be the only survivor. It moved to a farm in Suffolk in the Sixties before entering the private collection of an ex Shuttleworth College agricultural student and then finally coming to the Collection in September 2016.

browse the Agriculturals