1902 Baby Peugeot

The Collection’s Exhibit

This is an example of the small, two-seat, ‘Bebe’ built in large numbers from 1901. Previously the property of a doctor in Basingstoke, the Peugeot was bought in 1929 by Richard Shuttleworth from a scrap dealer in Andover for the sum of £3.10s. Like many other of Richard’s acquisitions, moving the Peugeot from Hampshire to Old Warden was an adventure.

With friend Jimmy Edmunds at the wheel, Richard towed the ‘Bebe’, with paraffin side lamps and no rear light, behind his sports Alvis – Edmunds wearing Richard’s father’s coaching coat to keep out the elements. The convoy paused in the centre of London for coffee, and at some road works north of London a red warning lamp was ‘borrowed’ to fit on the rear of the Peugeot to complete the journey.

The Peugeot took part in the London to Brighton Run of 1929, and since then has been a participant on nearly 20 occasions as well as being a popular sight at Shuttleworth vehicle parades.

Note: this is one the earliest Peugeots to have wheel rather than tiller steering.

This exhibit is part of the Richard Shuttleworth trail.

 

browse the Vehicle Collection