1914 Clayton & Shuttleworth portable engine ‘Dorothy’
The Collection’s exhibit
‘Dorothy’ was built in 1914 as a convertible type and used by the War Department as a road roller. Later it passed to Buncombe’s, a public works contractor, of Highbridge, Somerset.
The engine was found in derelict condition and restored at Maskell’s boiler works in Wilstead, Bedfordshire at the initiative of the Shuttleworth Trust.
As it is a convertible, the opportunity was taken to replace the front roller unit with a new Clayton front axle and wheels. The rear wheels were rubber tyred to produce a smoother ride for the driver and his mate.
Further restoration was carried out on Dorothy during 2015, and the engine returned for the start of the 2016 event season.
♦ browse the Vehicle Collection ♦
Barouche Town Carriage
Benz International Dogcart
Mors Petit Duc
Clayton & Shuttleworth Living Wagon
Locomobile Steam Car
De Dietrich Type SM
McCurd 5 Ton Lorry
Clayton & Shuttleworth portable engine 'Dorothy'
Austin Model ‘R’
Jowett Type C
Austin Seven AAK
Clayton & Shuttleworth K40
Austin Seven Ruby
Ferguson Brown Model A
MG TA Midget
Fordson WOT 2H
Private owner: Rory Cook