1945 DH89a Dragon Rapide

This exhibit

Built in 1945 as a Dominie by Brush Coachworks Ltd at Loughborough, ‘GSH was civilianised as a D.H.89a and first registered to Channel Islands Airways Ltd of Jersey in July 1945. She then went to the Minister of Civil Aviation from November 1946 to January 1947 before spending nine years with BEA as James Keir Hardie, operating the Highlands and Islands service. (‘GSH was later bought back by BEA in the early 1960s and as their last biplane, named Lord Baden Powell, operated the Lands End – Scilly Isles route until the introduction of helicopters.) During her life she has passed through the hands of many owners, including more than half a dozen small airlines, a short spell in Ireland as EI-AJO, and the RAF Sport Parachute Association at Abingdon.

Philip Meeson has proudly owned her since 1992 and states that he has no intention of parting with her. In his ownership she has been painstakingly rebuilt and restored to her BEA colours and condition by Cliff Lovell at Hants Light Plane Services. The aircraft is based here at The Collection.

browse the Aircraft Collection