1923 English Electric Wren

The Collection’s exhibit

Initially built as Competition No 4 (Constructor’s No 3) and flown at Lympne in 1923, it was much later presented to the Collection by R.H. Grant of Dumfries. The aeroplane was rebuilt by the English Electric Company, using some components supplied by the Science Museum, and flew again in January 1957.
It was extensively refurbished again at Warton in 1980 and returned to the Collection early in 1981.

Although, due to the low power output of its aged engine, it has not managed to fly from conventional take-offs since April 1983, successful bungee launching trials were carried out in October 1992. Eleven people are needed for this operation which has strong spectator appeal and bungee launches are now regular events.

laa_supported

browse the Aircraft Collection