1907 Governess Cart

The Collection’s exhibit

The Governess Cart is a two-wheeled vehicle with a low built, safe carriage that was used mostly in rural areas for carrying children and the elderly. Shaped like a tub (and often called a ‘Tub Cart’) it has a small door at the back and seats four people with their backs to the wheels and facing each other. It is driven from a rear ‘off side’ seat. As this is not an ideal position for controlling the vehicle it required a quiet, calm pony to draw it.

This exhibit was built by Maythorn and Sons Ltd, Coach and Motor Builders of Biggleswade. It is recorded that Colonel Frank would travel around the Old Warden park and the wider estate in it during his later years.

browse the Vehicle Collection