1938 Hillman Minx
The Collection’s Exhibit
When the Second World War broke out in 1939 nearly all military staff cars (Royal Navy, Army or Royal Air Force) were basically civilian models give a coat of matt paint of the appropriate colour. Some came from showrooms, from factory stocks and some were privately owned.
This Hillman Minx type would have been used by other sections of the RAF – officers of the rank of Group Captain, Wing Commander or Squadron Leader – and would normally have been driven by a chauffeur from the Women’s Auxiliary Airforce (WAAF).
The vehicle was purchased from a main dealer in Leeds and privately owned until it was commandeered in 1939 by the Ministry of Defence. It was later owned and restored by Graham Church, of Kempston, Bedford, and displayed locally at military pageants and similar displays. It is painted in RAF Bomb Disposal 15 Squadron colours and markings.
It was purchased by The Collection in 2006.