1939 MG TA Midget

The Collection’s Exhibit

It’s an evocative 1940 scene, the wartime airfield, planes and crews at the ready, and an MG sports car parked nearby. The Collection’s MG is a 1939 example, and was originally Richard Shuttleworth’s own car which he drove regularly whilst in the RAF.

Posted to No 10 Flying School at Tern Hill, Shropshire, in 1940, Pilot Officer Shuttleworth took the MG, towing a two-wheel trailer-workshop he had converted from a Morris Cowley van with him. With the ‘workshop’ parked outside his bedroom he was able to run an electric lead so that he could have power to work on repairing the Locomobile steam car boiler and work on his De Dion tricycle!

On Richard’s death in August 1940 – in a night time flying accident from RAF Benson in a Fairey Battle – the MG passed to Air Commodore Allen Wheeler, a friend of Richard and his family. After many years in the care of the Wheelers, latterly with the late Air Commodore’s wife, Mrs Barbara Wheeler, the car was donated to the Collection on Sunday 2nd May 2004, 65 years after its first registration.

This exhibit is part of the Richard Shuttleworth trail.

 

browse the Vehicle Collection