1938 Miles Magister

This exhibit

For some years this aircraft bore the RAF serial V1075. Its service career ended on 9 November 19402, when it was stored at No 51 MU at Lichfield and finally sold on 4 December 1947 for £50.

Registered G-AKPF and ‘civillanised’ by Wolverhampton Aviation Ltd, the aircraft was granted its original Certificate of Airworthiness on 23 April 1948. It had a mixed career as a flying school aircraft, mostly with Air Schools Ltd of Wolverhampton. Logbooks suggest it was damaged and rebuilt a number of times, and after a substantial crash in May 1955 parts including the fuselage, centre sections, tail surfaces and flaps from another Magister were used to restore it to airworthiness.

Ron Paine flew the aircraft to victory in the Magister Race at Thruxton on 21 August 1949. It gained third place in the 1958 King’s Cup air race, with a speed of 128mph. It left RAF Wattisham  on 1 May 1962 and stored in a wingless, semi-derelict state at Hadleigh before being sold in 1969 for £80.

Uncompleted restoration began on it by the East Anglian Aviation Society in 1970, the project passing to Adrian Brook in 1989 for completion at Shoreham where he made the first post-restoration flight on 21 July 1990.

After several years of inactivity the aircraft was bought by Peter Holloway in 2001. The aircraft came to Old Warden the same year and work carried out on it has included restoring the correct identity of its 1938 fuselage.

laa_supported

browse the Aircraft Collection