1898 Panhard Levassuer

The Collection’s exhibit

The car is currently officially dated by the Veteran Car Club as being a 1900 model, but evidence exists that it may have been constructed some years earlier. Richard Shuttleworth believed it to be built in 1897, and entered the 1928 London-Brighton Run as of that year of manufacture.

Further contemporary information was that the car came 4th in the Paris-Amsterdam race in 1898, driven by Réné de Knyff (a member of the Panhard board of directors) covering a distance of 890 miles at an average speed of 24mph. In 1901 the car was re-bodied by Morgan and Sons in the brougham style (enclosed passenger compartment with open seat for the chauffeur) and became the first motor carriage to be owned by a member of the Rothschild banking family.

This car is also reputed to have been driven to Ascot races in 1901 by King Edward VII.

Richard Shuttleworth purchased the car in 1928 from Frank Webb’s garage in Leighton Buzzard and shortly afterwards it became the first item in the vehicle collection. Richard intended to drive it on the London to Brighton Run but the day before the start Panhard said they were unable to prepare the car.  Working overnight in a London garage Richard and his friend Jimmy Edmunds got the car ready and completed the distance without problems with four passengers aboard. Since then it has completed the Run on numerous occasions.

Further investigations into the car’s history continue.

This exhibit is part of the Richard Shuttleworth trail.

browse the Vehicle Collection