1929 Parnall Elf

The Collection’s exhibit

This, the sole surviving Elf, first flew in 1932 and was purchased from Parnall’s by Lord Apsley at Badminton in November 1934, he previously having owned the prototype which was written off in a forced landing. It was stored for the duration of WWII.

In 1951 it was acquired by the Collection in non-flying condition and was exhibited, on temporary loan, to the Historic Aircraft Museum in Southend during 1972. It was then returned to Old Warden where it underwent a complete restoration programme by two former apprentices and made its first public appearance in 1980. It flies at events at Shuttleworth throughout the main season May-October.

laa_supported

browse the Aircraft Collection