1870 Pony Phaeton

The Collection’s exhibit

The Pony Phaeton was first built in 1924 for George IV and its lines continue in much the same way as the original vehicle by the Griffin & Ward Company, established in 1773. John Ward & Thomas were listed in 1846 as Griffin & Ward, invalid chair manufacturers to Her Majesty and the Queen Dowager, at 6 Leicester Square, London.

This vehicle was manufactured c1870 by the Griffin & Ward Company. Although the Shuttleworth family are unlikely to have been its first owners it is known to have been used here at Old Warden.

browse the Vehicle Collection