The Shuttleworths at Old Warden
In 1872, Joseph Shuttleworth purchased the Old Warden Estate from Lord Ongley, who was the creator of the late Regency style Swiss Garden that is still part of Shuttleworth today.
In 1875 the original red brick manor house on the estate was replaced with the present mansion. It was designed by the prominent Victorian architect Henry Clutton and features a steel frame that is reputed to have been made by Clayton & Shuttleworth.
Upon Joseph’s death in 1883, his younger son Frank inherited the Old Warden Estate. An army man, who attained the rank of Colonel, Frank was a keen traveller and horse breeder. Frank was 57 when he married Dorothy Clotilda, the 23-year-old daughter of the Vicar of Old Warden.
In 1909, they had a son, Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth. But, just four years later, Colonel Shuttleworth died and Dorothy was left a widow.
The following year, Dorothy married again, this time to Brigadier-General William McClaren Campbell. They had a daughter Anne, born in 1917. Dorothy was widowed for the second time in 1924.
A College, a Charitable Trust and a museum
In 1944, Dorothy decided to place the estate in a Charitable Trust in memory of her son. She wanted to ensure it would continue to be used for the purpose of agricultural and aviation education, two of Richard’s interests.
Shuttleworth College first opened its doors to agriculture students in 1946, at the Old Warden Park Mansion House. Today The House is part of Shuttleworth and regularly hosts weddings and conferences.