Old Warden Estate
The Old Warden Estate was assembled by the Ongley family in the 18th and 19th Centuries and subsequently purchased in 1872 by Joseph Shuttleworth a Lincolnshire industrialist. His grandson, Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth, eventually inherited the estate but sadly died in 1940 following a flying accident whilst serving in the Royal Air Force.
Upon Richard’s death, his mother put the estate into a charitable trust for the purpose of promoting Richard’s interests in agriculture and aviation, establishing the Shuttleworth Collection and Shuttleworth College. The non-operational parts of the estate are let to provide funds to support the Collection and College.
Today, the estate extends to approximately 4,734 acres stretching from Cople in the west to Biggleswade in the east and, in addition to the House, Collection and College, includes let farms, woodland, residential properties, including most of Old Warden village, and restored quarry land.
The let estate is managed by the Trust’s land agents, Robinson & Hall, based in Bedford, who can be contacted on:
Other enquiries: Sophie Bacon 01234 362892