AIRFIELD STATUS: Shuttleworth/Old Warden Airfield is now OPEN to visiting aircraft. PPR is Essential – please see our new automated system information below.
Shuttleworth is open daily 10.00-17.00, with a ‘site-entry’ fee. For visiting aircraft this is £10, please pay in the honesty box.
All areas of the site open to the public are included in this single admission fee, including the six aircraft & vehicle hangars of the Shuttleworth Collection, the Swiss Garden and North Park. Outdoor takeaway, hot food, snack and drinks, and toilets available.
The Engineering workshop, restaurant and gift shop remain closed.
Please read all the information below as there are significant changes.
SHUTTLEWORTH (OLD WARDEN) AIRFIELD
Shuttleworth (Old Warden) is a private, unlicensed aerodrome, situated in a rural area. The airfield is not inspected daily and the manoeuvring area is uneven, so please exercise caution. Airfield Information can be obtained at NATS Aeronautical Information Service and NOTAMS.
RADIO FREQUENCY: 130.705Mhz
AIRFIELD STATUS – OPEN
- Runway designators have changed to runway 02/20
- RWY 02 THRESHOLD IS DISPLACED AND INDICATED WITH DISPLACED THRESHOLD MARKER.
- LANDING AND TAKE OFF DISTANCES REDUCED TO 521M FOR BOTH RWY 02 AND RWY 20 DIRECTIONS.
- THE USABLE RUNWAY REMAINS NORTH OF THE UNCONTROLLED PRIVATE ROAD CROSSING WHICH IS USED BY VEHICLES AND PEDESTRIANS.
The area around the fuel pumps has recently had land drains installed. The narrow back-filled trenches that remain may contain softer soil, stone chippings or undulations until the grass grows back through. If you cross the drains do so with caution.
All pilots use the aerodrome at their own risk and must PPR.
PPR through our automated system and please note:
- You can PPR up to 24hrs in advance. The airfield is open to visiting aircraft during site opening hours (0900L to 1730L) only.
- You will be asked to select a nominal arrival time slot. If no slots are available then the airfield is at capacity or has been temporally closed and PPR is unavailable.
- When you have completed the process an email will be sent confirming the permission to the address provided. If you are unable to come then please cancel your booking through the link provided in the email as soon as practical so that others may use your slot.
- If you cannot make your selected slot time then it is not necessary to rebook as long as your arrival is on the same day, during operating hours.
- The automated system is not yet available for event days such as Airshows. To PPR for these days call 07875 028876 no more than 2 weeks in advance of the event
- If your journey originates from outside of the UK you must submit a GAR https://www.submit-general-aviation-report.service.gov.uk and include the GAR reference number in the field provided.
- If you cannot use the automated system or you wish to request overnight parking then please call 01767 627901. However, please note that due to staff shortages this line may not be monitored all the time.
Visiting Aircraft Arrival information
All aircraft must do a standard overhead join at 1800 feet above aerodrome level and a full visual circuit before landing as there may be people/vehicles on the runway/airfield. The tower is only occasionally manned so please make blind transmissions as appropriate on the Old Warden frequency of 130.705.
- Look out for any non-radio aircraft that may be in the circuit.
- Look out for aircraft carrying out practice displays, who may also be operating non-radio and, stay well clear until the practice has clearly terminated.
- Confine all manoeuvring to the mown runways and taxiways.
Only Runway 02/20 is available to visiting aircraft. Please note that all other runways may be in use by resident aircraft and must be kept clear.
- Runway 02 is a Right-Hand circuit.
- Runway 20 is a Left-Hand circuit.
- Circuit Height is 800 feet.
Parking and Signing in
When you have landed please park clear of ALL the runways (for parking see link to airfield diagram below) and sign in using Booking-in sheet in wooden hut behind the fuel kiosk (mandatory).
A site entrance fee of £10 per aircraft applies and an honesty box provided when signing in. Included in this fee is access to the Swiss Garden, Paddocks and North Park. Shuttleworth has COVID-19 measures in place to keep our visitors and staff as safe as possible – please read before visiting.
The site and airfield is open to visitors from 0900L to 1800L
Pay at the pumps, self-service fuel UL 91 and 100LL available during site opening hours. The pumps accept all major credit and debit cards.
100LL = £1.60 per litre
UL91 = £1.63 per litre
The Visitor Centre and restaurant remain closed. However, there are food and drink outlets on site, the Swiss gardens and acres of beautiful open areas for picnics, relaxation etc. for you to use.
If your journey originates from outside of the UK your GAR reference number will be requested when you PPR. For information on obtaining this please see the ‘GAR information’ section below.
ADDITIONAL AIRFIELD INFORMATION
The aerodrome is a vintage airshow venue from May-October, please see our 2020 Airshows.
Additional fly-ins, Moth rally, and Beer & BBQ events take place throughout the year. If you are interested in hosting a club fly-in, please contact email@example.com
Our history: The Collection founder Richard Shuttleworth first landed at Old Warden, the field and surrounds cleared of obstructive trees, on 26th September 1932 – the day Old Warden aerodrome was born!