1950’s Phillips Tradesman’s Bicycle
Phillips Cycles Ltd. was a British cycle manufacturer based in Smethwick near Birmingham, England. Its history began early in the 20th century and ended in the 1980s by which time it had become part of Raleigh Industries, itself a part of the Tube Investments group. For a number of years, the company was the second-largest bicycle producer in Britain, after Raleigh. The company motto, which was carried on all its badges, was “Renowned the World Over”.
Phillips was one of the giants of the industry marketing cheap mass-produced bicycles. The company produced millions of bicycles, many of which were exported, and also manufactured several mopeds. The “Phillips” brand is still used around the world, especially in China and the Far East, having been licensed by Raleigh.
The Collection’s exhibit
Phillips produced a variety of different carrier cycles which broadly break down into two bicycle types: the Tradesman’s with equal-sized wheels and the Low Gravity with a smaller front wheel for heavier loads. This machine in the Collection is a Tradesman’s with equal-sized wheels.
This example has an advertising plate for W. Jordan & Son of Biggleswade, so it is very much a local machine. Since it is not a Low Gravity machine it would not have been used to deliver sacks of grain. Most likely it was used for local deliveries of flour to bakers and households.
♦ browse the Bicycles ♦
Peyton and Peyton Boneshaker
1869 Unidentified Boneshaker
1878 Starley Quadricycle
1885 Dan Albone 'Ivel' High Wheeler
1885 High Wheeler
1902 Dan Albone 'Ivel' Lady's Roadster No.5
Hercules gent's roadster
1924 Sunbeam Lady's Roadster
New Hudson 'Imperial' light roadster
1937 Raleigh Lady's Roadster
1938 Jagrose Lightweight
1938 A. J. Hodge Tandem
1940 Elswick Tradesman's bicycle
1944 BSA Paratroop Bicycle
1947 Mercury Industries Military Bicycle