1912 Crossley T5

The Collection’s exhibit

Brothers William and Frank Crossley set up Crossley Motors Ltd in Manchester in 1910 to solely manufacture motor cars as an offshoot of the long-established family engineering company Crossley Brothers Ltd.

Designed by former Daimler engineer JS Critchley, the earliest Crossleys were chain-driven, four-cylinder, 22hp (4.7-litre) vehicles aimed at the same market as Mercedes and Rolls Royce. A 40hp (6.9-litre) model followed, and in one of these big cars the company’s London agent, and very successful part-time gentleman racing driver Charles Jarrott set a record for the London-Monte Carlo run.

In 1909 designers AW Reeves and GH Woods joined the company to engineer a new range of Crossleys. The 12/14 of 2388cc (monobloc engine, instead of two separate castings) with shaft drive and, optional but not too successful, four-wheel brakes was replaced in 1910 by the 12/15 of 2613cc, otherwise known as the ‘15hp’, and a 4116cc, model, the 20/25 was added to the range.

The T5 Crossley was the company’s most successful car, particularly in use as the 20/35 with the Royal Flying Corps throughout World War 1. Crossleys were converted into field ambulances, aircraft tenders and mobile workshops as well as staff cars. The company continued to produce cars until 1935 and thereafter concentrated on commercial vehicles and buses until merging with AEC in 1948.

The model T5 in the Shuttleworth Collection is to all intents a 20-25hp type with a smaller engine. The car was purchased by The Collection in 1956 from a Mr Pyddoke of Sevenoaks in Kent and remains in its original (and magnificent) condition.

 

Manufacturer: Crossley Motor Company, Manchester
Model: Six seater Tourer and Royal Flying Corps staff car
Engine: Crossley 4 cylinder of 14-25hp
Top Speed: 50 mph

The Crossley (Copyight – John Grieg)

browse the Vehicle Collection