1914 McCurd Model C

The Collection’s Exhibit

Wallace Atherton McCurd was born in 1876 in Edinburgh but by 1901 was living in Newington, London. A civil engineer by trade he was also a second hand car dealer – a rare feat in 1901 as the used car market must have been severely limited!

In 1905 he formed a limited company W. A. McCurd Ltd to buy, sell and manufacture vehicles. By 1908 McCurd Ltd was formed, buying out the former with premises in Bloomsbury just off the Tottenham Court Road, with a big overhaul and repair department.

In 1912 the company entered the commercial sector by manufacturing the 3 ½ ton Model C built in new premises on the Edgware Road, in the Dollis Hill area of Cricklewood. The model was said to be of simple design and driver proof. Various bodies could also be fitted including a bus, a lorry, or a van.

During the First World War, the company was occupied with the manufacture of munitions, returning to lorries and other commercial vehicles at the cease of hostilities. McCurd sought to enter the motor car market in 1922 with an advanced specification light car utilising an engine of the company’s own design and manufacture from a new factory at Hayes, Middlesex. It is thought a high price affected sales, and no known examples remain,

Commercial vehicles were made until 1942 when the McCurd name disappeared.

This Model C 3 ½ ton van is the only surviving McCurd. Registration BC2365, and owned by F & E Beeden of Northampton it was found in a totally derelict condition.

Now restored as a box van in the livery of ‘Tate Sugars’, it has taken part in rallies and in the Commercial Vehicle London to Brighton run many times and appeared in the film ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’.

It is on loan to the Shuttleworth Collection from Tate & Lyle Sugar.

 

Manufacturer: McCurd, Cricklewood, London
Model: 3 ton / 28 passenger chassis truck
Engine: 4 cylinder, 40 horsepower
Top Speed: 12mph (Fully laden)

film_use2

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968) Dir. Ken Hughes

browse the Vehicle Collection