1952 NEW HUDSON AUTOCYCLE
George Patterson, born 1864, served an engineering apprenticeship making bicycles in the Birmingham area. He eventually bought Hudson Tools in 1895 and renamed it the ‘New Hudson Cycle Co’. The first motorcycle was produced in 1903 with a 2 ¾ hp De-Dion engine, but this was unsuccessful. However the New Hudson range was expanded between 1910 and 1915 using JAP engines; these bikes were all black with a two-tone brown tank.
George’s eldest son, an engineer also named George, joined the firm in 1914 but WWI intervened. George Jnr joined the Royal Engineers in 1915 but was killed in action, and George Snr who could not adjust to his son’s death lost interest in the business, dying in tragic circumstances in 1918 aged 54.
The business however survived and production recommenced in 1919. Many models were made, racing and hill climbing entries helping sales. Bert Le-Vack, Tommy Bullus, Eric & Oliver Langton and Austin Harry gaining records at Brooklands, the Isle of Man TT and numerous hill climbs. In 1928 Bert Le-Vack broke the 100 mph record at Brooklands on a 500cc New Hudson.
Motorcycle production ceased in 1933 and the company name changed to Girling Ltd (who later were to manufacture brake components) and in 1939 manufacture of the Autocycle began. Post war, the company became part of BSA with New Hudson Autocycles as one of their subsidiary companies. These ‘bikes had no effective suspension and were powered by the 98cc Villiers Junior, later replaced by the 2F model, two-stroke engine. Sales continued until 1958.
Manufacturer: New Hudson Autocycles, Birmingham, England
Engine: Villiers 2F two-stroke, 98cc