Military Airshow: Entertainment
There’s plenty to keep the whole family entertained at our Military Airshow 2019 airshow.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 1 (VC Car Park)
- Sit in a cockpit – The Plane Guy: make paper plate planes and really rapid rockets before an opportunity to take a selfie sitting in a real aeroplane.
- UK Junior Gliding: have a go in their incredible Gliding simulator, before having a guided tour of their full size glide.
- EoN primary: have a go on Shuttleworth’s own EoN Primary! Secure on a gimbal, just feet from the ground, can you keep her ‘flying’ straight and true.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 2a (Hangar 1)
- WW1 Aviation Heritage Trust: their brilliant Rocking Nacelle VR flight simulator. You can also meet their latest accession, the stunning Albatross DVa, and find out more about their work.
- Rebuilding Grandad’s Aircraft: will be here alongside their Bristol Scout 1264. Join them to find out all about the history of this fascinating aircraft and their incredible journey.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 2b (Hangar 2)
- Airfix Make and Paint: giving you the chance to make your very own Airfix model for free, with our friends from IPMS Brampton. And don’t forget to collect the voucher giving you a discount on all Airfix kits in the Collection shop.
- FAI Aviation Art Competition: you can meet renowned aviation artist Phil Jackson – here to tell you about the competition for young people and to help you unleash your inner artist! Can you match last year’s record breaking UK entry?
- Mendenham Collection: try your hand at interpreting aerial reconnaissance photos – can you identify the Soviet armour? Also on display will be original stereoscope images including ones from Operation Chastise.
- Pathfinder Museum: featuring Bomber Command material, who join us from RAF Wyton with a fascinating collection of intriguing artefacts and new pathfinder activity.
- Time and Space Learning: try your hand at creating the perfect aerofoil before testing it in their wicked wind tunnel.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 3 (Discovery Tent)
- The Shuttleworth Discovery Team: have their giant trebuchets out – can you learn the Clock Code, as used by Royal Flying Corps pilots, and guide them to their target?
- Military Intelligence Museum: You can hear about covert surveillance trips into the Eastern Bloc and their BRIXMIS Display. See the only surviving BRIXMIS reconnaissance vehicle and meet its driver.
- Joystick Club: budding pilots can take a flying lesson in the tremendous Tomahawk Flight Simulator.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 4 (Hangar 4)
- Joystick Club’s Pedal Planes: a perennial favourite and now holders of a Guinness World Record! Fun for the little ones.
- Chuck gliders & stomp rockets: make paper plate planes and really rapid rockets with YES, the Youth Education Support Strut of the Light Aircraft Association, before an opportunity to take a selfie sitting in a real aeroplane.
- Hurricane build: Every hour, on the hour, join Sci-Hi Education and help build their humungous Hawker Hurricane to help defend our skies in an inspiring and engaging STEM activity.
- Bristol Centaurus cutaway engine: every hour, on the half-hour, join the Shuttleworth Discovery Team for a running of our brilliant engine.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 5 (Compass)
- Great War Society: We are delighted to welcome them back and their Royal Flying Corps camp. Join them to find out what daily life was like for the brave First World War airmen and the incredible support network that kept them in the air.
- Airfield Defence Team: Try your hand at tracking the display aircraft on our 1946 Bofors anti-aircraft gun. There will be a special talk by the team on AA operations at 11:30.
Shuttleworth Discovery Zone 6 (Paddock 1)
- Dawn Patrol: you’ll find a display of 1/3 scale Radio Controlled models by Dawn Patrol.
- RC model simulator: if you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to fly one, why not try on the brilliant BMFA (British Model Flying Association) simulator.
- Vintage bus rides
- Pilot Chat: Spitfire
- Live Music: The Wimbish Military Wives Choir
- Veteran & Vintage vehicle parade
- Swiss Garden tour at 12.00
- Explore The House 10.00-14.00
- Flight line tours, running every 15 minutes from 10.00-11.00 (£10)
- Exhibition: Heroes of the Airfields (Courtesy of Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire)