The History of Clayton & Shuttleworth
The business of Clayton & Shuttleworth was founded in 1842, by Nathaniel Clayton and Joseph Shuttleworth, next to the river Witham in Lincoln. It started as iron and steel foundry whose first contract was for the production of iron pipes for the new Miningsby to Boston water supply.
By 1845, they had produced their first portable steam engine. Their first traction engine followed in 1858. It had a single speed set of transmission gears and a 5th wheel for steerage. A two wheeled tender was for carrying water.
In addition they produced a wide range of agricultural equipment that was exported widely.
The Company also continued to develop the design of the traction and stationary engines; and diversified into the production of other agricultural equipment and oil engines.
The wealth created by the company enabled Joseph Shuttleworth to buy Old Warden Park, the home of Shuttleworth today.
Agriculture at the Collection
Our steam engine Dorothy was 100 years old in 2014, and the Living Van can usually be found in Hangar 3, which also houses aircraft from Richard Shuttleworth’s own collection. At events with flying displays and vehicle parades tractors and the newly restored chaff cutter can be found in the agricultural area (please see the map for each event for its location).
The chaff cutter made its public debut down at the 2015 Dorset Steam Fair, and was powered by a Clayton & Shuttleworth engine at this year’s Bedfordshire Steam Fair and the last airshow of the 2015 season. This short interview gives some of the background to the Chaff Cutter restoration project and its place in the importance of the agricultural pieces that are part of the Collection and Shuttleworth’s heritage.
Enjoy this clip of the Chaff Cutter in action!